Monday, May 31, 2010

The First Encouter with Vancouver

On SkyTrain to downtown Vancouver, ridges of dark green mountains emerged from the harbor and caught my eyes. The clouds dimmed the sunlight of early June and shadowed the hills that should have been brighter. My first encounter with the city of Vancouver cannot be less brilliant, which I found quite satisfactory. It seems cities nowadays try way too hard to show their hospitality, often with Disney-like billboards that still shine their way out at night. Along with these excessive welcoming are eyes-killing sunshine and palm trees. Nothing like these occurred to me in Vancouver, and it seems just fine to me. The gray sky does not make me frown to avoid sunlight, and the city at first sight cannot be more ordinary that it almost seems unique.



The constant cloudy weather of Vancouver also reflects on the color preference of car buyers. Lining up along the pedestrian walkways are cars of mostly white, gray and black. Rarely does a beige one pass by, which could be the most colorful. Remembering from my various geography courses, I cannot help but think that the natural surroundings could influence human activities (the higher percentage of gray sky urges people sort of blend into the environment?). Or could it be car manufacturers simply make more car of these colors?

No comments:

Post a Comment