Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Ordinary Space of Taipei

When thinking about mega cities such as Taipei, I have the had-been-tallest skycraper Taipei 101 and the surrounding mega shopping areas in mind. Otherwise, it would be the often-advertised specialities of the night life in Taiwan--night markets.

Undoubtedly, these are the mostly visited places of not only foreigners but locals themselves. They appreciate the modern public arts, the crowded shopping spaces, and the bizaarely-built architectures. They go to movie theaters, high-tier restaurants, and bookstores that shelve masterpieces of philosophy.

These spaces, percieved by the minds that seem to long for idealities of good life, continuously obssesss me even when I am situated in the spcaes that cannot be more ordinary. It is when I take out my camera that shocks me how commonplace my surroundins are, and how faraway the distance between ideality and reality is.

The scene that cannot be more familiar for those who live in Taipei for years (left).






















Or the pathway between buildings (right).

1 comment: